Google Apps: Setup Gmail for your Domain’s Email
This article will show how you can configure your domain settings so that email messages to your domain will be routed through the Google Apps mail server. In other words, by adjusting some settings in your domain cpanel and creating an account in google apps, you will be able to access emails to your domain through Google (in Gmail interface).
The email login page for your domain will be http://www.google.com/a/YourDomainAddress
For my domain, it is:- http://www.google.com/a/chapagain.com.np
After you login, you will get exactly like Gmail interface. So, it will be like using Gmail for your own domain’s email address.
Here is a step-by-step guide on using Google Apps Mail for your domain:-
– Sign up for Google Apps by entering your domain name (https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new)
– After you successfully sign up, you need to verify ownership (verify that you are the owner of the domain). This article describes how you do it:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=60216
– After you verify domain ownership, you are now able to login and manage user accounts.
Basic setup steps and tutorials for managing users and accounts for Google Apps is given in the following link:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/topic.py?topic=20897
You have created Google Apps account but you are not finished yet. You still need to configure MX record in your domain’s control panel (cpanel).
An MX record identifies an email server available to the domain. Most domains have multiple MX records, arranged in order of priority. When someone sends an email message to the domain, the first available server in the priority list handles the message.
More about MX record:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=140038
A mail exchange (MX) record identifies a server that handles email messages for your domain. A domain has one or more MX records listed in priorty order. When someone sends an email message to your domain, the sender’s mail server delivers it to the first available server in the priority list.
To Configure MX record for your domain:-
– Login to your domain’s cpanel
– Search and click the menu from where you can change MX record (generally the menu is named “MX Entry“)
– Select your desired domain
– Under “Email Routing“, select “Automatically Detect Configuration”
– Now, add the following new records:-
Regardless of the system, ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM must be the top priority record.
More on configuring MX records:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=140034
More on Google Apps mail servers:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=174125
Sample example of Configuring MX Records for GoDaddy.com:- http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=33353
You are done! Now, your domain’s MX records point to Google. It will take around 24 hours for the changes to propagate through the Internet. After that, you will be able to access emails for your domain through Google Apps Email.
The login URL for your domain will be http://www.google.com/a/YourDomainName
Note:- By creating account in Google Apps, you are not limited only to Email. You can access many other Google Apps like Google Calendar, Google Chat, Google Docs, Google Sites, etc.
Cheers & Enjoy!